[Tigers] big valve 260

Ron Fraser rfraser at bluefrog.com
Mon Aug 27 08:53:31 MDT 2012

Jim
    I don't have an absolute answer for this.   I have one source that
indicates the C4OE-A heads were introduced in July - Aug 1963 for the 1964
Ford model year.   If this is the case all Tiger 260 engines could have the
larger valves.

    I have another source that indicates the C4OE-A heads were introduced in
Feb 1964.   This would mean that Tiger engine groups T15KL, E7KL and G13KA
could have the C3OE-B head with smaller valves.

    I have very little information in my Original Tiger Engine Study on
these first 3 engine groups.  I have 1 entry for a G13KA engine; it does
have C4OE-A heads with a date code of 3M13 = Dec 13, 1963; this would
indicate that most or all of the G13KA engines have the C4OE-A heads with
larger valves.

    I have no information about the T15KL engine.   I'm not sure that any of
them have survived.   Some of the early stories and writings about the Tiger
indicate that there were some early engine problems.   This leads me to
believe that maybe those engines had the C3OE-B heads with the smaller
valves or it is very possible that the English expected these Fords engines
to easily rev to 6000 RPM as was common with their engines; the stock 260
engine would generally break at that RPM.

    I also have no confirmed information about the E7KL engine group.    I
only have my theory of the part configuration.    If anyone has an original
260 from one of these 3 early engine groups I would be glad to hear from
you.  It would be great to confirm the Ford part configuration of all these
engine groups but I believe that is just " Wishin' and Hopin' ".

    Unfortunately the only way to see the casting number on the heads is to
remove it from the engine to see the number on the underside.   The date
code is cast into the head under the valve cover but without the casting
number it only give you the date.

Ron Fraser