[Tigers] Stock Brake Rotor Eval?

Terry Packer packertl3 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 22 11:42:06 MST 2014

While apart for other service, close inspection of one front brake rotor
revealed 2 very fine radial cracks. Both are on the same side of the disk
only, in the middle of the
friction face,  and do not extend to the perimeter
of the disk. One is about 1/2" long and can be detected with a fingernail. The
other is longer but cannot be felt. The longer one looks like it could be
connecting a series of tiny flaws in the original casting material. Also, it
is quite possible these have been present for a very long time already and
have simply gone undetected until now.

We all agree already that brake
components are relatively cheap and prudence would advise simply tossing
anything at all about which there is a question. So that wisdom need not be
repeated. But I was nevertheless curious to hear whether there's any
experience with this particular symptom that might cause me to think
differently. So. . . .

1) Is this disk definitely a doorstop?
2) Is this
disk only probably a doorstop? or
3) Is it at all possible these cracks are
not uncommon in old castings and should not cause undue concern?

Wisdom
always appreciated

Terry Packer
9470018