[Tigers] Tire choices for 13" LAT 70

Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light) mark.rense at ge.com
Tue Mar 4 08:31:53 MST 2014

Brian,
You are about to enter The Tire Twilight Zone. Many of us have been on the
lookout for decent 13" tires (tyres) for the last few years here in the US,
there are almost none available that are worthy of Tiger usage. I still like
my Shelby 8-spokes and have used 205/60-13 for years. When the last of the
Sumitomo HTR200s disappeared out of desperation I bought the only non-race
tire I could find, the Federal Formoza FD-1. These are cheap, hideous
rim-protectors from Asia and while they may be adequate for Mom's Buick they
are not worth much otherwise, although they do produce excellent burn-outs! I
use them only for road trips and shows, I have another set of wheels with
Hoosier R6's which are street-legal slicks for play time.

The sad thing is Falken still makes their excellent Ziex ZE912 in many 13"
sizes but does not bring them into the US. I have contacted their US
operations in California and they will not import even one container for a
club purchase, too many lawyer issues. I talked to Rick about importing tires
a while back, he did not want to get into that aspect of parts sales. Oh well.
Tom Patton said he would look around as well but he was not very encouraging.

Here is a list of 205/60-13 available in the UK:
http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=21804311.110.8490&
ranzahl=4&rsmFahrzeugart=PKW&s_p=Summer_tyres&m_s=3&tyre_for=&sort_by=preis_d
own&Ang_pro_Seite=&shop=RDUK&sowigan=So&Breite=205&Quer=60&Felge=13&Breite_ol
d=205&Quer_old=70&Felge_old=13&Speed=&Load=&Marke=&kategorie=6&filter_preis_v
on=366&filter_preis_bis=551&price_range=366-551&price_range0=366-551&my_car=&
EA=&suchen=Angebote+anzeigen

I see the Coker Vredestein re-pops in that size but they are $175 a tire and I
have not heard good things about their performance and handling. I will
probably bite the bullet and buy a set of Toyo Proxes RA1's, with heat cycling
that is a $800 set, they may last a couple seasons.

If you are OK with using a 185/70-13" there are a few more choices but they
are all-season types or snow tires, nothing I've found that even hints of
cornering capability.

Good hunting!

Bugz