[Tigers] Tire choices for 13" LAT 70

Thomas Witt atwittsend at verizon.net
Tue Mar 4 10:18:39 MST 2014

>>>When the last of the Sumitomo HTR200s disappeared...<<<

A very nice tire for someone on a budget.  Some kid was selling three, new
(good date code), 175-70-13" on Craigslist. I got them all for $35.  Was
willing to pay full price for the fourth, but can't find even one. U Pick
Parts netted me one, near new (again good date code), HTR 200  in 205-60-13"
for $11.  Still searching for another. It's like trying to find who
Cinderella's slipper fits.

 I also, have HTR 200's on my Datsun 510 (215-60-13") and likely never to be
found in that size again. I have the 15" version on my Plymouth Valiant too.

>From what I have seen you either pay dearly for low treadwear tires
performance tires or buy the Chinese tire of dubious quality.  I wonder what
the future holds for 14" and even 15" tires.  Seems like even the low end
econoboxes come with 16" tires anymore. Seems hard to believe that 60's era
muscle cars often came with 14" tires.  Maybe as designers need more space
to cram batteries into cars smaller tires will make a comeback.  Then again
to handle the weight, maybe not.

Tom