[Tigers] The Tiger Lives!!!

Tod Brown todbrown at roadrunner.com
Mon Aug 3 17:37:46 MDT 2015

Andy:

Congratulations! Any time another Tiger is added to thelist of the
living it is amajor accomplishment.

On the subject of gauge calibration, etc, I would suggest you read
StuBrennan's article on Tigers United.
http://tigersunited.com/techtips/BrennanGauge/rt-BrennanGauge1.aspif you
haven't already.

Based on the article, it is clear that when the temperature gauge is
reading too high, as in your case,
it can be corrected in a fairly straightforward way without the expense
of getting it recalibrated.
>From Stu's article, it can be seen that a high reading is caused by a
low resistance of the gauge. What
I did to correct the situation was to first obtain a variable resistor
(a pot, or potentiometer) and place
it in series with the gauge. You will see, then, as you increase the
resistance of the pot, the gauge reading
will fall. By taking the actual temperature with your ir thermometer,
you can adjust the pot so that the
reading of the gauge agrees with your thermometer. You can then use a
multimeter to read the actual
resistance of thepot and replace the pot with a fixed resistor of about
the matching value. I did this
several years ago and it has proven to be a permanent fix since I have
occasionally checked the calibration
with my ir thermometer.

As far as the problem with the tach, my suggestion is that you sendthe
tach to Tom Hall and have him
do the solid state conversion. It's the best solution IMHO and it's
essentially permanent.

Cheers,

Tod Brown
B382002384LRXFE