[Tigers] Over Engineered Soft Top

wseay wseay at embarqmail.com
Sun Aug 23 17:58:29 MDT 2015

MessageJoel,
I have attached pictures of my car’s original top frame.  The frame was replaced by a junk-yard donor about 40 years ago and has resided in my basement unrestored and unmolested (except by rodents in my basement) for all that time.  The strap that connects header and stays is in two pieces and the two pieces are not of the same material.  The piece that spans from header to front stay is somewhat elastic and stretches a bit when the top is erected.  The second piece spans from front stay to back stay and is rigid (won’t stretch).  In the pictures, the strap between front and rear stays is intact but the strap (the elastic one) from front header to front stay is mostly gone.  It looks like the first strap is pop riveted to the top of the header, loops under the front stay and then is pop riveted at the top of the stay along with the second strap.  The second strap loops under the rear stay and pop rivets to the top of the stay.

When I replace my top frame I replaced the straps with a length of nylon seat belt material.  I didn’t attempt to find an elastic replacement.  Back then the car was my daily driver and I considered the replacement to be a repair, not a restoration.  In taking the pictures, I noticed that the front stay was wrapped in gray vinyl.  I had forgotten about that.  Depending on how particular you are about your restoration, you may want to go shopping for some gray vinyl.

-Good luck

Will - wseay at embarqmail.com
"I think not therefore I am not" (anon)