[Tigers] Mechanical Performance Questions...

Larry Mayfield drmayf at mayfco.com
Fri Aug 12 10:06:39 MDT 2016

Many thanks to all those who replied to my questions. I now have enough
information to go forward with planning on what to do.  I have a number of
options open to me. One is that I have a non turbo motor that was in the
Salt Flats race car and it has ALL the bells and whistles and it is a 260
basic block. Next might be for me to use a 331 stroker kit in my 5 bolt 289
block and use the parts and pieces from the record holding motor (it was a
302 block and the block and crank are toast now),  or use a Mexican 302
block just waiting for something. I have bell housings for the c4 trans
should I decide to go that way.  The Mex block is a stock bore and would
easily handle the hp and tq (ft-lbs, not pounds feet) and all race parts
would fit nicely.  A 347 kit would be good in it without issues. I have all
the good stuff to go inside.  If I use the 10 bolt top loader than it
probably needs to be rebuilt first and a double diaphragm clutch might be
necessary.  And for sure I am going to use the 2.88 gears and posi as I am
not into light to light drag racing (anymore, lol). I will no doubt put a
T72 or my HP72 turbo somewhere in the car just for chuckles.

Now out to work on the car.

Again, many thanks for the advice and suggestions: it was exactly what I
wanted!

Oh, and if any of ya have a need for a 390 FE with boat hardware installed
(included is a 14 qt Holman and Moody oil pan for reversed motor, Nicson
water cooled exhaust, front and rea mounting hard ware, alternator new oil
cooler, marine flywheel, etc (and a Ebock Performer manifold on top).  I can
cover your needs, lol.  Make me an honest offer.

mayf

drmayf
Worlds Fastest Sunbeam, period.
204.913 mph flying mile