[Tigers] 2-post versus 4-post Lifts

Tom Witt atwittsend at verizon.net
Fri Jan 29 14:46:48 MST 2016

There would be a difference between a car falling off a lift (or the lift vertically collapsing)..., and the lift falling (tilting) over with the car still firmly attached.  It would seem the floor structure for a two post lift needs to be seismically substantial as compared to a four post lift.  I don’t think the issue is the two post lift collapsing (vertically) as much as it is simply falling (tilting front-back) with the failure at the floor attachment.  Tripods have at least three legs for a reason.

As a lifetime suburbanite I struggle to comprehend the need for a lift.  Are there really that many places that are width/depth challenged and yet have substantial height to elevate the car – especially for stacked parking? If you are replacing exhaust systems, brakes, transmissions on a daily basis sure they make sense. Maybe it is just my perpetually bad back, but having to stand, look up and work with arms up seems like torture compared to putting a car on jackstands and lying on the floor to work. A sheet of foam core makes a nice, cushioning insulator.