[Tigers] Edelbrock Carbs (carb cleaning 101)

Brad Huff huffb at southslope.net
Sat Dec 28 16:38:00 MST 2019

This post got me thinking about the Edelbrock carbs. That statement says a lot as I have always been a Holley fan. I was ready to pull the trigger on an Edelbrock AVS 2 carb. A lot going for it with the annular primary boosters etc. I then started doing a little research on the carbs and found that several people were having hot soak issues and fuel evaporation issues. Problems starting the engine if the cars sat for a week or so. I am very disappointed if this is the case because the claim is that the idle and midrange performance is almost as good as EFI.  Doesn’t seem to be as much of a problem if you are running an electric fuel pump so that you can refill the bowls. My Tiger has a HP289 with a Holley 715 cfm vacuum carb on it. The same carb that Ford used on the 68 Shelby GT-350. Can’t imagine it running any better, but I thought that I would give the Edelbrock a try on my 66 Mustang. With the Tiger having a smaller tighter engine compartment I could see a hot soak problem occurring. Any thoughts?-Brad