[Tigers] Wiring Question

Theo Smit tsmit at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 17 19:39:27 MDT 2019

Joe,
I can’t give you a good answer on where the stock wires would go, but if you’re upgrading the main output wire for the alternator then I would suggest running a 6 gauge wire from the alternator output directly to the non-switched side of the starter solenoid (the side where the battery cable is connected).
You should not use an ammeter to monitor your new alt because it would require you to run that large cable across the dash and back, and also because even a slight loosening of the connections at the ammeter would result in severe heating of the gauge and possibly cause a fire. Use a voltmeter instead.
Your ground connection from the alternator needs to be just as good as the output connection. It is a good idea to run an equal sized wire from the alternator body to a good chassis ground.

A final safety suggestion is to put a 100 amp rated fusible link or fuse inline with the alternator output, before it connects to anything else. That will save your wiring harness and your alternator if you should somehow short the main 12 volt circuit to ground.

Cheers,
Theo