[Tigers] Temp Gauge Reading High?

Donald Antilla fast427 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 10 13:58:27 MDT 2020

Your measurements sound similar to what I experienced on my 1966 427 Fairlane several years ago. The sensor is screwed into the aluminum intake manifold and it feeds an under-dash Stewart-Warner gauge.

Mine read consistently 200 to 210 which had me concerned because I had a 180 thermostat.

I then bought  an infrared thermometer and measured at the upper radiator hose; it read about 185 as I recall.

I thought about it and I THINK- but did not try to prove- that the engine heat conducted well from the cylinder heads onto the aluminum intake and thus probably raised the sensed temperature.

Don Antilla

Southbury, CT

203-592-8427 Cell