[Tigers] Temp Gauge Reading High?

Stu sabre2tgr at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 20:07:31 MDT 2020

Both IR thermometers that I have seem to work best when pointed at a black
surface.  I did an experiment where I painted a spot on a copper hot water
pipe black.  With the water flowing there was a noticeable difference
between the temperature of the black spot, and the shiny copper pipe about
an inch away, with the copper reading being lower.

So if you are comparing temperatures, be sure both spots are black, or at
least the same color.

 Also, despite the red dot one of my IR thermometers projects, the field of
view of the IR sensor appears to be actually much wider.  Of course, mine
were rather cheap($xx), compared to a pricey narrow angle Omega piece
($xxx).

Stu