[Tr-gang] A shift in plans?

Mark J. Bradakis mjb@autox.team.net
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:58:22 -0700

It was a sort of hazy, foggy day here in Salt Lake City, with an occasional
moment of the sun trying to make its presence known.  My intention for the
day was to get Killer from the garage at home to the shop.  Seems simple
enough, but it involved locating the tie downs, wrestling the trailer through
the various snowbanks and mudpits around the driveway, driving the van to the
house and back again without any failures, etc.  It didn't actually rain, but
as I headed back to the shop with the Spitfire in tow, it started to drizzle
a bit just a couple of blocks from home.  The car didn't get too wet, the
worst part was the muddy sides from the trailer tires.  I gotta get some
fenders on it this spring.

But Killer now sits in the shop. along with the TR7 and the red racecar.  And
once that was accomplished, I took some time to sit down with a bottle of
homebrew, look at the cars and think.

For N years now ["Enough talk.  Let's build it."] I've babbled about having
Killer as a street car to drive around now and again.  And last night at the
British Motor Club of Utah dinner, where we map out the schedule of events
for the coming season, I once again was looking at a summer without a Triumph
to drive, more incentive to get Killer on the road.

But in the last week or so as I've been cleaning up the shop a bit and
shuffling, uh, stuff around, I've laid my hands on various TR6 bits.
Which reminds me that I have this TR6 at the shed which I started to
restore back in '87.  20 years ago this TR6 was my *only* vehicle.  There
may be some attachment issues here.

So I've just about convinced myself to forget about ever making Killer street
legal, just go ahead and get him ready to handle the first few IVR and SCCA
events, not worry about lights, interior, etc. while Bob Allred and I work on
getting the white Spit into racing condition, with the chance that maybe the
two of us could attend a race, each behind the wheel of a Spitfire, and
actually really race each other!

And sometime this summer extract the TR6 from the confines of the
shed, get it to the shop and start anew on having a streetable Triumph
I can be proud of.

So many cars, so little time, is there no cure for this disease?

mjb.