[TR] Adjusting valves on a TR6

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Fri Aug 24 19:15:14 MDT 2007

On 24 Aug 2007 at 8:31, Randall wrote:

> > To adjust the valves on my '74 TR6, I need a way to turn the
> > engine over.
>
> I like to put it in gear and push the car backwards.

Why backwards?  Because of the lower gear ratio?  Or to keep the
timing chain tensioned the right way?  Nah, that doesn't make any
sense that I can see.

I just put the car in gear and rock it back and forth, or forth and
back as appropriate.  Almost any gear will do, but if I have to work
in restriced driveway length, a lower gear is better.  Of course, one
advantage of working on a Spitfire or GT6 is that with the bonnet up
the top of the front tire gives a 2:1 mechanical advantage for moving
the car.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com