[TR] Adjusting valves on a TR6

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Aug 24 21:24:23 MDT 2007

> On 24 Aug 2007 at 8:31, Randall wrote:
>
> > > To adjust the valves on my '74 TR6, I need a way to turn
> the engine
> > > over.
> >
> > I like to put it in gear and push the car backwards.
>
> Why backwards?  Because of the lower gear ratio?

I just find backwards easier for me and my TR3A.  To go backwards, I just
push on the edge of the hood opening and watch for the valves to move to the
next position.  Harder to get lined up for a good push against the front
apron, and my right arm is stronger than my left.  Or if it's stubborn (like
when I had the 11:1 head on it), I can wedge my leg against the front bumper
and move it that way.

Purely personal preference and convenience, certainly not the only way to do
it.  I use 4th gear, so the same gear ratio either way; and watch the valve
train move so I don't care about any slack in the timing chain.  Rather than
using the "rule of 9", I just turn until both valves on a cylinder are open,
and adjust the opposite cylinder (in the firing order) since it's valves
must both be fully closed.

Randall