[TR] (no subject)

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Jul 23 07:33:46 MDT 2008

> I am trying to decide, based off many different points of
> view, weather to look for an A Overdrive or J Overdrive for
> my 57 TR3. OK group, would you go with the performance of the
> better part of the J or the A for originality?

Personally, I can't see any reason to opt for a J, unless it's significantly
cheaper (and even then I'd go for one of Herman's conversions instead).  The
A-type gives you an extra gear and instant shifts, both of which I found
very useful in my 59 TR3A, particularly when driving hard on twisty roads
(which is my favorite way to enjoy the car).  The J shifts quite leisurely
by comparison, making it useful only as a 5th gear, IMO.

The J-type is also more trouble to fit to a TR3; you'll have to fabricate a
new rear mount and some people have had to notch the frame rails for
clearance.  You'll also have to bang out the transmission tunnel to clear
the larger, later gearbox; since you can't fit a J-type to the original TR3
box.

After having driven the A-type in my TR3 for many years, I rather regret
having opted for a J-type in my Stag; even though I feel it's better able to
handle the higher torque of the V8 and also has a slightly higher OD ratio.

Randall