[TR] (no subject)

Nolan opposumking at verizon.net
Wed Jul 23 09:04:10 MDT 2008

The A-type has a pressure accumulator as I recall.  That all by itself would
give it an advantage over the later J-type.  You can more safely play games
with allowing the unit to engage in 2nd or even 1st gear.  Both units are
more than robust enough for the modest power of even a highly modified TR3.
The A-type is period correct for the car.

The ability to flick a switch in multiple gears seems neat and does have
some potential performance gains.  But, I'm one of those who's never found
flipping that switch very convenient, and quite frequently forget to
disengage the OD when I come to stops.  Accordingly, I'd prefer a mechanical
5-speed, like the Toyota transmission conversion for driving.  I've had both
setups, and for driving, much prefer the 5-speed transmission to an electric
overdrive.