[TR] Retro Sound radio - one user's view

banc8004 at comcast.net banc8004 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 2 11:50:43 MDT 2008

I bought the RetroSound radio from Moss a few weeks ago: http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=66239&SortOrder=1
Here's my take on it, in case anyone else was thinking of adding this to their car's setup.
Installation is straight forward. The smaller-than-usual main unit is easier to fit in the confined space of my TR4 than a regular radio. The unit is quite powerful, such that adequate listening volume is achieved without distortion. The radio works well in either FM or AM. I have installed the resistor spark plugs from Champion. I have taken no precaution with noise reduction on the power feed, and have no problem with noise. I had noticeable noise with the 1980s radio this unit replaces. I can now enjoy the radio, with the top down, at 60 mph (that's the fastest I've gone with it). Above that speed, I can't imagine it being too brilliant.
The front panel AUX input for ipod or similar works well, though the volume is much lower than when using the radio - at least on my ipod with its volume pretty much maxed out. There is enough capacity in the unit's amp to compensate, but when you switch back to the radio, it'll be twice as loud as you want. Its better than the FM transmitter devices I have used, though.
The unusual USB connection (also front panel) provides the opportunity to connect a memory stick with music stored for playback ithrough the unit. I have not yet found a format that works reliably. iTunes' format just seems to stall on me two or three songs in, though I'll experiment with other formats. It would be good to get this working so I'd not have to worry about walking away from the car with a $$$ ipod left behind absentmindedly.
The radio has presets for Classic, Rock etc, as well as the usual Bass, Treble, l/r and fade controls. I find myself keeping the manual on hand to understand all these controls and how to manage each of the three inputs. I haven't found it intuitive. A short press of a control gets you into one menu, and a longer press takes you frustratingly elsewhere, as this old dog has found....
I have the radio on an 'always live' connection. However, after installing the radio, I learn that off isn't really off, and the clock is always displayed when the unit is not 'on'. I may change to a switched live, and forget the clock.
Overall, I'm pleased with it, and can now get the full pleasure of the speakers setup I'd designed some months ago: http://www.vtr.org/maintain/GreatAudioTR4.pdf
Cheers,
Brian Jones
1963 TR4 CT 14455-L