[TR] TR3 backing plates & shoe hold-down

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Aug 20 15:41:46 MDT 2009

> The manual indicates that the brake
> shoe hold-downs are through a hole in the backing plate using
> a spring and pin combo similar to North American cars.

In a word, the manual is wrong.  There were a number of cars delivered with
the posts as you describe; the Moss catalog shows TS13552 through TS56376.
TS39781LO did not have them when I got it, but I'm pretty sure that's
because it had a later axle (and 9" brakes) installed after someone robbed
the original 4.10 axle.  But TS13571L does have them, as did my other cars
in that range.

> Just wondering what I need to complete the hold
> down arrangement with these pegs.

Sounds like you already have everything.  With those brakes, there is no
direct hold-down, only the force from the return springs and the slots in
the slave pistons to locate the brake shoes.  Just a drop or two of oil on
the felt (to lubricate the end of the post).  The pegs should be adjusted so
they hold the shoes parallel.  Too far out causes the shoes to wear on one
edge, too far in can cause a strange clunk when the brakes are released.
BTDT

Oh yeah, the threads on those posts are Whitworth (BSF as I recall) and the
locknut takes a Whitworth wrench.

-- Randall