[TR] Reality check

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Fri Aug 21 06:24:08 MDT 2009

On Thursday 20 August 2009 09:06:32 pm P Caffrey wrote:
> I remember long ago when I had to get my TR4A smogged and certified.  I
> took it to a mechanic that knew these cars.  He'd fiddle with it and it
> would pass.  I also remember him telling me that the car passed smog
> inspection but was probably one of the dirtiest cars on the road.  I
> suspect CA, TR owners have the most to worry about regarding "progressive"
> legislation.  We CAs love to be on the "cutting edge"....I can't help but
> wonder, too, that there are many old car enthusiasts across car lines.
> When or if push comes to shove, TR folks could align themselves with
> Chevrolet, Ford, etc enthusiasts to help block unwelcome legislation.  I
> wonder how many old car enthusiasts are out there, especially in CA?  Also,
> it would be interesting to know how many legislators/politicians have
> vintage cars.

Here in NY state, cars older than 1995 do not have to pass smog inspections.
Could that change? I dont think so. The current emissions test is performed by
computer, not a sensor on the tail pipe. Cars older than 95 dont have the
ability.

But as everyone in this country can attest, we are slowly getting regulated to
death.

I currently drive a 58 TR3, 63 TR4 and a 1974 Bonneville that could never pass
current emissions tests. And with a 72 TR6 to be completed in about a year or
so with some modifications to the engine, I doubt that car would pass as well.

I believe the vintage car industry is just too large for the government to
shut it down. Sales, parts, cottage industries supplying parts and upgrades.
Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to shut it down because of a little co2 and
some no2. How much do we contribute to the total tail pipe emissions? Most
likely cant be measured.

Well, I am going in the garage and try to get some work done on the 6.

Bob