[TR] U-joints - which ones & how to prep

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Dec 28 15:24:00 MST 2010

I would insist on joints that have the proper extended grease zerk.  They'll
last at least $3 longer, especially if you ever drive through a puddle.
There used to be other brands available with at least the tapped hole for
the zerk (so you could move the zerk over from the old joint), but I don't
recall who or where.  The Goodparts joints are certainly high quality, but
are likely overkill for a driveshaft.  I've never broken a Hardy-Spicer.

To my mind, white lithium is a light-duty general purpose grease, suitable
for many things but not wheel bearings or U-joints.  But I've never seen it
packaged as "wheel bearing grease" so maybe that doesn't apply to the stuff
you use.

-- Randall