[TR] TR3 Steering cam/worm

davehogye dlhogye at comcast.net
Sat Dec 19 21:32:36 MST 2015

Hello Andrew,

Moss sells the parts you need to rebuild your steering box. There is no need to remove used worm gear from one box box to another.

Yes, the worm gear is expensive, but you should consider this as an option. A completely fresh rebuild will give you the best outcome and you won't regret it.

Moss also has an excellent description of the steps necessary to rebuild it properly when you come across the parts on their website. This is "very" important when renewing the worm gear.

You might also consider switching to a two piece steering column. Then you can "try" using the box you have without a rebuild. I would still recommend disassembly, cleaning everything and at least replacing the pin that rides in the worm gear and reshimming the end float between the bearings. But really, the main bushing should be replaced too.

A rebuilt steering box can transform your TR3.

Dave H.