[TR] Valve Springs

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Aug 24 12:34:02 MDT 2018

What factory manual is that?

IIRC the change was not exactly at a model change at all; but was close to the time that the exhaust stems got smaller. The cylinder head also changed, and IIRC the spring perch insert was deleted. Not certain offhand but I kind of think the retainer (on top of the spring) changed as well.

Early cars had the 3 springs, and the thick exhaust stems. There might have been some very early TR2 with only two springs, but its not mentioned in the SPC that I have handy (hence my question about which manual).

That said, many vendors (including Moss) sell a 2 spring set that is designed to be used with the early configuration. But its not the same as the factory 2 spring set and doesn't fit the later cars.
-- Randall