[TR] Wire terminations

Paul Tegler ptegler at verizon.net
Tue Jan 8 16:20:44 MST 2019

??  you never crimp to a tinned (soldered) wire end. The crimp can
deform and will not hold.
for 'LBC's'  flux wire end, crimp, then solder then heat shrink as
appropriate to give the joint some mechanical assist (and further
electrical isolation.

all this can be quite subjective. The ysay never rely on solder as the
electrical connection. It's only meant to retain the mechanical
connection of the electrical contact. point.

Yet on my UAVs, (and older RC cars) its quite common to only solder blob
the end of 14/16awg wires to the ckt board pads which pass 40+ amps
without melt-down of massive losses. The battery leads are 'wire in
connector pin cup' soldered and can see 200 amp sustained currents!

...can be a bit scary (relying on such a contact) when you've got $3K to
$20K worth of craft and cameras relying on that power connection.

So my own opinion (and experiences)  dielectric grease the end of the
wire, insert in terminal and crimp. Don't smash it,  .....and use two
strokes across the crimp (two dimples)

ptegler

--
Paul Tegler