[TR] TR3/4 Oil Pan Timing chain cover Oil Leakage Resolution

staffel staffel at comcast.net
Fri Jul 29 21:48:31 MDT 2022

Hi Bill! Many decades ago I got rid of the original style gaskets and took a tip from 80s GM pan gaskets which came standard with a thin RTV bead in the center.. 90,000 + Mike's on my Fiero 2M6 and NEVER a drip.Now the TR3/4 blocks have an additional stupid issue: the block oil pan  bolt holes go straight into the crankcase. So even if the pan is fully sealed- oil spirals down the threads of ALL of the pan retaining bolts. Same with the 46 bolts on my E Type V12 oil pan.The solution is Super clean each of the bolt threads in the block several times with brake cleaner on rounds of Q tips. Add just RTV to the block & pan,  the threads & the Bolts. Install all 4 turns only. Then when all bolts in- tighten center out criss cross like you'd sequence a cylinder head.  So when the RTV cures- you have a complete seal.Timing cover leaks- same thing. Super Clean everything. Use Hi temp RTV on sealing surfaces, bolts & threads. Also don't over Torque the bolts. Let the RTV CURE &do its job.The only leak in 22 years since my last engine Rebuild  is from the Rear main seal.I also painted my oil pan Hammerred Silver so I coukd initially monitor for weeps.20-50 Brad-Penn + STP does wonders minimizing the 'British Perfume that makes its way to the exhaust pipe. Sherman D Taffel TR4 CT50054LColumbia MD4 Hags, 5 Jensens, Dozen+ AmericanSent via the Samsung Galaxy S10, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone