[TR] generator vs alternator

Anthony Rhodes spamiam at comcast.net
Thu Jul 6 15:49:32 MDT 2023

If you only have the original electrical devices with their normal power demands, then the stock generator is capable of handling everything.

Note: the original headlights may have been about 40 W each compared to nearly 50% more than that for modern lights.

I have a stock generator, a good voltage, regulator, and a few LED lights. The headlights are NOT LED. They are H4 halogen. The generator keeps up with everything just fine.

I used the LED tail lights. I did not change any of the other running lights.

I think that my total power demand is slightly less than original.

I see no good reason to switch to an alternator!

However, if I were to add some driving lights, then I probably do not have enough power output from the stock generator.

 on the other hand, switching to LED headlights and LED driving lights probably would reduce my overall power demand from where it is right now.

I have not switched my headlights to LED because I am not convinced that the H4 LED replacements are as good as the halogens for the beam pattern .

-Tony

Sent from my 1837 Babbage Analytical Engine