[Vintage-race] Torque wrench recommendations?

Carl McLelland carlynneracing at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 2 08:50:37 MST 2008

I don't think it's covered since it has "moving parts". They won't replace
things like broken taps and dies either that have wear parts..

If you got 20 years out of ANY torque wrench you were lucky and lived on
borrowed time for a number of years.

If your highest torque value is 95# then I would recommend a 1/2" drive, 150#
wrench. I would not use it for value less than 50# or more than 100#. For
smaller torque values get a 3/8" drive torque wrench. Again, I recommend
staying within the middle third of the range for the best accuracy. And if you
are really serious about the small stuff, add a 1/4" drive "inch pound" torque
wrench to the toolbox.

If I were a Snap-On dealer I'd say get Snap-On. Same thing with Mac, Proto or
any other major toolmaker. I use a Craftsman click type. Just stay away from
Harbor Freight and the cheap ones. This is a precision tool; not just another
wrench thrown in the box. Lastly, whatever one you get, find out what your
machinists favorite "mouthwash" is (beer, booze, etc). Take your new wrench
down to him along with a modest supply of "mouthwash" and if he's any good at
all he will gladly calibrate the new wrench for you and recheck it
periodically.

I think Craftsman and others 'guarantee' accuracy within 5%. At 100 pounds
that's a range of 95# to 105#. That's not good enough for me... I want to know
(as an example) that 70# is really a reading of 68.... or 73... whatever.
Calibrating the wrench will enable you to be more accurate.

Carl    Lotus 61 FF