[Vintage-race] Calibrating torque wrenches

Mark Palmer mgvrmark at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 2 17:14:14 MST 2008

I made up an adapter so I can use my beam-type torque wrench to calibrate my
click-type torque wrench.  You can even use a couple of sockets and a piece of
hex stock, or square stock if they are 12-point sockets. Then set the clicker
at a given torque, clamp it in a vice (or find an assistant to help), and yank
on the beam-type until you feel the click.  Can be a little tricky to hold
everything together but I manage. I usually check a few different settings on
the click type, through the middle of the range (where I tend to actually use
it).

My 20-year old Craftsman click-type has never shown any significant inaccuracy
when checked this way, but I do use the beam wrench for critical engine work
because I still trust it more.

I think the best thing you can do for a clicker is to "unwind" it down to zero
during storage, and store it in a location that doesn't get too cold or hot --
but that's just a hunch.

Mark Palmer