[Vintage-race] Trailer tires

John Caffrey jdc6 at Lehigh.EDU
Thu Oct 2 09:25:59 MDT 2008

Over a 6 year span I destroyed 4 tandem fiberglass fenders on my 18"
Pace American because of tire blowouts, and two of them were not due to
age. The lightweight trailers that use the triangular torsion tube axles
do not evenly distribute the weight on each axle unless the trailer is
level, and because we towed with two different trucks, had not been
careful in trailer leveling. When we were 1.5" higher in the front we
would overload the tires on the rear-most axle. We have the highest load
capacity 13 trailer tires, and there isn't room between the axles to
switch to 14" so have to live with it.. I thought I had it figured out,
but now will closely watch the tires for crowning. Thanks for the heads up.
John
Fogelsville, PA