[Vintage-race] Trailer tires

Mike/Shelley Ritz micritz at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 3 10:55:10 MDT 2008

Count me in on the bunch that thinks "there is NO good trailer tire". I've always kept mine up to the maximum pressure on the sidewall before every trip, used proper ST (trailer) tires, even upgraded my tires from 205s to 225s rated with an E load rating. I've used Goodyears and Carlysles, all have failed on and off, some within 3 years. I carry two spares with me always. This is on a light 20 foot trailer (not some monster 28 ft), towing my Barracuda. I've never lost one while towing empty, BTW, but then again that is not the norm.

The side loading on the tires, especially with duals is great. If you have ever seen a trailer doing a sharp turn you know what I mean. The tread is getting ripped off the cord from the side loads.

Again, there is NO good trailer tire, it is just the luck of the draw. Just carry at least one spare, and always have a jack strong enough to jack up the trailer WITH THE CAR IN IT.

Mike Ritz
Scappoose, OR
66 Plymouth Barracuda