[VTR] The value of a list

Ted triumph66 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 13:36:22 MST 2007

The list's value is rather like intertwined insect intellect, a.k.a. "Swarm
Intelligence"

<<What do ants and bees have to do with fixing TRiumph sports cars?  A great
deal, it turns out. Individually, social insects are only minimally
intelligent, and their work together is largely self-organized and
unsupervised. Yet collectively they're capable of finding highly efficient
solutions to difficult problems and can adapt automatically to changing
environments. Over the past 20 years, researchers have developed rigorous
mathematical models to describe this phenomenon, which has been dubbed
"swarm intelligence," and they are now applying them to business. Their
research has already helped several companies and car enthusiasts, alike,
develop more efficient ways to schedule factory equipment, divide tasks
among workers, organize people, and even plot strategy. Emulating the way
ants find the shortest path to a new food supply, for example, has led
Hewlett-Packard teams to develop software programs that can find the most
efficient way to route phone traffic over a telecommunications network.
Southwest Airlines has used a similar model to efficiently route cargo. To
allocate labor, honeybees appear to follow one simple but powerful
rule--they seem to specialize in a particular activity unless they perceive
an important need to perform another function. Using that model,
Northwestern University researchers devised a system for painting trucks
that can automatically adapt to changing conditions. In the future, all LBC
listers will structure their intelligence gathering activities using swarm
intelligence principles. The result will be the ultimate self-organizing
enterprise--one that could adapt quickly and instinctively to fast-changing
markets.>>

If you still want more, see the HBR article @
http://www.antoptima.com/admin/pdfrassegna2/pdf028.pdf

Ted