[VTR] Starter

Jeremiah Curry jercurry at comcast.net
Sat Feb 16 15:02:37 MST 2008

I pulled the starter last night and cleaned up the shaft  I am not really
sure what all of the parts are called, so bear with me.  The gear that
engases with the flywheel pulls out easily and as you pull it out the piece
behind it rotates.  The spring that pulls the gear back also appears to work
fine.  However neither of these parts appear to be attached in any way to
the shaft that is attached to the motor part, I can turn them independently.
I cleaned everything up and then realized how hard it is to get the shaft
back in the housing, since you need to push the brushes back into their
guides at the same time.  Luckily my wife helped me there (she must love
me!)  Once the starter was re-installed I tried it with the same results, a
lot of spinning without engaging the flywheel.

I checked the flywheeel and it isn't missing any teeth.  I also attached my
batter charger on the "start" position to the positive ground and the
negative terminal of the starter to make sure it wasn't a starter or wiring
problem, again the starter spins like crazy without engaging.

This leads me to believe the part of the starter that converts centrifical
force into forward motion doesn't work...but I'm not sure how that happens
at all.

Thanks, in advance for any help
Jeremiah