[VTR] Starter

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Feb 16 16:46:15 MST 2008

> The armature and coils
> spin, but the sleeve and pinnion do not.

Might be worth removing the sleeve to double-check, but that sure sounds
like the failure I described.

> If the part you spoke of is no longer available,

The standard part should still be readily available, Moss 549-580 or TRF
LUTLB160.  It's only the "improved" part that is NLA (basically it was
superseded by the gear drive starters now available).

> could I just weld those together or something?

I have heard that trying to weld the drive solid typically results in
something else breaking from the shock, but haven't tried it myself.

>  Or am I looking at buying a new starter?

If you do decide to go that route, and aren't worried about originality, I
heartily recommend the "high tech" gear drive starters.  They weigh less,
take less current (easier to start with a tired battery) and spin the engine
faster for easier starts.  Also since they are a "pre-engaged" design, they
are less picky about the condition of the ring gear teeth (and I think place
less stress on them).  I put one on TS39781LO and the only complaint I have
is that it no longer sounds like a TRactor motor being cranked, more like a
jet engine spooling up <g>

By the way, I should point out that this list is primarily for discussing
matters pertaining to the Vintage Triumph Register as a club.  Technical
discussions of Triumphs should really be on the Team.Net 'Triumphs' mail
list.  Unfortunately MJB hasn't updated all the web links yet, but you can
subscribe by going to

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO (now totaled :(
56 TR3  TS13571L next project
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
71 Stag LE2013LBW daily driver wanna be
57 TR3 TS21731L rusting quietly 2000 miles away