[VTR] Shift Light

Chip19474 at aol.com Chip19474 at aol.com
Tue Jan 29 14:10:48 MST 2008

List,

Has anyone installed a shift light on their TR6 or TR4?  I  disassembled the
tach, cleaned and carefully oiled/restored it back in 1999  during the early
stages of my TR6 restoration project.  It is accurate in  warm and hot weather
but this past fall I noticed that it randomly seems to want  to lag a bit past
4000 rpm on cooler days.  Since cooler days and evenings  are when I really
like to "exercise" her (to take advantage of that denser cold  air fuel charge)
and since my motor has been extensively modified allowing me to  seek a
higher, non stock redline, I'm thinking of installing a shift light  so I don't
send a connecting rod through the block some day.

I've looked in JEGS and Summit Racing catalogs to get ideas.  I don't  want
something that's too tacky or looks like I should be lining up at the local
drag strip.  Unfortunately, most of the lights I've seen are also a little  too
large (out of scale) for the 6's dashboard.

Any ideas?  Footnote - yes I know that I can probably solve the cold  day
sluggishness by removing the tach, cleaning again and re-oiling but it's  just
not quite "bad" enough to do that yet and wouldn't it be really unique to  know
exactly when you've reached redline instead of relying solely on
interpretation!?

TIA,

Chip Krout
Delaware Valley Triumphs, Ltd.