[Zmagnette] New Member

Allen Bachelder bachldrs at comcast.net
Tue Oct 22 11:44:10 MDT 2013

David, Steve, and others,

First of all, David, you are just as entitled to use the word "we" as any member of our group.  Your participation and support is highly valued, and I hope you will always feel free to participate just as you have.  In fact, you bring up an important topic with your consideration of the terms "inclusive" vs "exclusive".  I always view myself as an "inclusive" kind of guy, yet the stand I've taken on this concern seems rather exclusive.  Not intended!

And Steve, you're right; we've never turned away a prospective member, and the process we've had before (and which I'd like to continue) does little to seriously vet new members. But it does serve another purpose which is exclusive to ZMG. There I go using that "exclusive" word again, but while I'm on several chat lists and forums (fora?), ours is unique in that it is also a club.  Certainly a V-E-R-Y loose club, but nevertheless a club.  I've never heard of a chat list doing something like what we did GT35.  In this sense, I don't think it's correct to compare us with other lists.  When people join our list, I want to know about it so we can join in welcoming them.  When I post to the list, I like to have at least a vague idea that I'm addressing a fellowship, if you will.  I'm fond of comparing ZMG to Brigadoon - existing only virtually for 51 weeks out of the year, but becoming tangible and alive at annual NAMGAR GTs.

No constitution, no by-laws, no officers, no treasury, no board of directors, no nothin'  And no urge to change that - just a love of our unstructured fellowship.  In fact, if we are but a list, we need no chairman either and I join the ranks of the unemployed.  And I'm not just protecting my job - the pay isn't much, but the intangible benefits are incredible!   But when we become a chat list of anonymous lurkers and contributors, we cease to be a club.  I would regret that.

FWIW,
Allen
Allen & Florrie Bachelder       =iii=<
Spring Creek Home for Wayward MGs