[Zmagnette] Fuel tank sealer-Not entirely OT

John mgmagnette at aol.com
Sat Feb 1 20:01:39 MST 2014

I used product called redkote on my MG 1100 but apparently the rust holes were bigger on the inside than on the outside.  In the end I attacked the gas tank mercilessly with a screwdriver.  This made some major holes!  And then bought some pieces of copper pipe like you used to run hot and cold water...  Cut them open and beat them to shape.  Both the steel gas tank near the leaks and the copper pieces were wire wheeled until they were shiny as could be.  Use a torch and lots of plumbers solder and those little white plastic tens of flux with a brush to seal up all of these ugly holes.  When I was done I realized there was no way in hell this would ever leak again!  But just to be sure I redkoted it one more time :)   The best suggestion they had was to use MEK or acetone to dry the inside of the tank before applying the product.