[Zmagnette] Timing

Steven Trovato strovato at optonline.net
Thu Feb 6 08:01:50 MST 2014

You can argue the merits of points vs electronic ignition all you
want.  Fact is, what Wombat said is correct.  The way most of us use
our cars, it is not normal to require timing adjustment every 4
months.  The rule I remember from when all cars had points and
carburetors, was to do a full tune up every 10K miles, and a "minor"
tune up every 5K miles.  The full tune up was plugs, points,
condenser, adjust timing, dwell and carb mixture.  Maybe replace the
rotor and cap.  The minor tune up was to basically do the same stuff,
but without replacing any parts.  You would just clean and readjust
what was there, unless something looked really terrible.  This was
not an MG thing, these were just the rules I learned for typical
American cars of the day.  In my experience, timing did not change a
lot. As Wombat said, wear at the points may require adjustment over
time.  Timing on my Magnette stays pretty stable.  This is with 1500
engine and original points setup.  If the distributor is tightened so
that you can't turn the body with your hand, then that's not the
problem.  Overtightening just causes more problems.  I would take a
look at the points.  If they are secure, I would look at their
condition.  Poor quality parts might wear faster.  Also, a bad
condenser can cause the points to wear faster.

-Steve T.