[Zmagnette] trafficators

Fletcher Millmore gofanu at cust.usachoice.net
Fri Feb 7 17:50:49 MST 2014

ANY Lucas number of the form LL ### is a MODEL (basic design)
designation, NOT a part number.
This applies to ALL Lucas parts.
There will be multiple part numbers associated. Sometimes, different
part numbers are assigned for things like different length (or no) wires
attached, or different voltage bulbs.
PART numbers may have letters as suffixes ONLY, which indicate design
changes that may affect internal parts, but not function as a unit. FI,
12345 might have screw terminals, but 12345/A has Lucar tab terminals, etc.

FI: SF 80 is a trafficator model, which comes in many variants, each
with its own Lucas part number(s) AND car manufacturer number(s).
FI, there are at least 4 variants of arm finish for otherwise identical
SF 80; primed, black, chrome, and "Staybright" - I assume stainless,
which is the (usual) ZB form. Each has its own Lucas part number.
In many cases, Lucas superceded part numbers, as did the car makers;
this may also have included non functional differences, such as finish.
The Z Magnette form(s), and many others, were superceded to 54044 by 1960.
This appears to be the most common SF 80, followed by one with black
arms, 54045.
Between them, these appear to account for 75% of all British cars of the
time, and not a few Continental ones.
I expect that any SF 80 would fit in the Magnettes - but might not match
the other side.

There was an SE63, which was a Lucas supplied SF 80 in a self contained
housing for external mounting.

The 6 digit numbers SK gave are BMC/MG part numbers, NOT Lucas.
Again there may be many manufacturer numbers for the same Lucas parts.
It is quite possible that Austin and Morris used the same part before
the BMC merger, "rationalizing" - or not - the part numbers sometime
after the merger.
The housing is simply to keep water out of the pillar, and would vary
between cars, though BMC, for instance, might have used the same housing
on different cars. This was likely NOT made or supplied by Lucas, except
maybe under exclusive contract.
I know that some cars had no separate housing, as the function was
incorporated in the design of the part it was mounted on.
You could likely make a suitable housing easily enough, heavy aluminum
foil would do.

FRM