[Zmagnette] OT - personal tow truck

John Elwood mgmagnette at aol.com
Sat Feb 8 19:19:34 MST 2014

Didn't get the tow truck because it's 2wd and so old it doesn't meet my reliability needs.  I'm so mad about it, but I bought a new pickup truck today.  Here's how my charmed life has gone... I live in New Hampshire and only owned Jaguars and MGs for over a decade.  When it snowed, I just didn't go to work.  AAA card?  Used up my tow limit every year.  Got a new job... And when it snows, you better be there.  I had to get a snowblower... And I was the guy who would shovel even when we got several FEET of snow.  That was probably the first crack in the dike.

So, pickup trucks, damn.   Used pickup trucks in particular... Wow are they expensive.  Everyone says hey buy a used 2-3 year old and save the depreciation, but... What I'm really seeing is VERY high prices, and everything over spec'd.  I don't need no lariat king ranch Harley truck, and they were so much new that they cost as much used as the stripped one does new.  New isn't supposed to make sense, but it does somehow. I want to never ever drive it except when it's snowing or has some utility use.

First a snowblower, then a "real" vehicle, what's next?  The MGs and jags will never get exercised.  Supposed to be the snow and Home Depot truck, but if the dike breaks where will I end up?  Taking the truck cuz it's too hot out?  Taking the truck cuz it's raining?  Taking the truck out of habit?!?!

At least the neighbors will no longer think I'm totally nuts.

-John