[Zmagnette] Your humble servant...

Fletcher Millmore gofanu at cust.usachoice.net
Mon Feb 24 23:00:04 MST 2014

Allen-
No different to why your turn indicators slow down when the car is
idling with lots of whizzy eaters on.

It can be informative to measure temperature at all connections and
breakers with an IR heat gun. Best with cover plates off the boxes. It
is common to have significant losses at main connections especially, as
in the service box; more so if they have not been retightened after a
period of use. Service cables are generally aluminum, and the
connections get loose over time, getting hot and oxidising, which makes
it worse. This is what OxGard was invented for, but they still need
periodic retightening. The heat can eventually carbonise the plastic the
parts are made of, which can lead to a fire, or at least constantly
tripping breakers and the need for new service boxes. Correctly sized
and tight connections should be very near ambient, and everything with
equal loads should be about equal temp.

Also interesting to use an AC voltmeter at every possible point, as
loads come and go. You can find notable differences which can lead to
particular bad connections. Not to mention variance from the power
company. My "120/240" power typically is 122/244, but often ranges
125/250 to 115/230.

I once investigated an industrial installation, recently done by a
"Master Electrician" - in a 440V system, I found around 404 delivered V,
which pretty well explained poor equipment performance! Finding the
really bad connections was easy with the IR gun.

FRM