[Zmagnette] Preservation

Steven Trovato strovato at optonline.net
Sun Jan 26 18:28:01 MST 2014

I would like to open a discussion on the subject of
preservation.  There is an increasing interest in unrestored
cars.  There is now a preservation class at Pebble Beach.  Here's an
interesting
summary:
www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2013/08/14/Old-is-New.
There are some cars out there that have been lovingly cared for and
sheltered for their entire lives.  The paint might not be perfect and
the chrome might show some scratches.  The seats may look like
someone sat in them a few times.  It is easy to make the argument for
preserving gems like this.  These cars don't look perfect and they
don't look freshly restored, but they still look pretty
awesome.  There are also cars out there with shredded convertible
tops and stuffing sticking out of the seats that are being
preserved.  And of course, a whole spectrum in between.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I have a ZA Magnette that is
very original, as they go.  Some of you know this and have seen it at
the GT events in Wisconsin, Ohio and North Carolina.  There are some
people who bow before it and love it for its originality.  There are
others who think the only thing it would be good for is a restoration
starting point.  I appreciate originality, but I have no problem with
making incremental improvements that make the car more like it once
was.  I think I would replace that shredded convertible top, but I
would prefer to repair those seats rather than redoing the whole interior.

So, as I said, I would like to hear what you guys think about this
subject.  I also would  like to learn more about techniques for
improving, yet preserving cars.  I must see 100 books, articles and
videos about restoring cars for every one that addresses repairs with
a light touch.  There is also a NAMGAR preservation class, but its
official description is "this car class recognizes those cars that
the owners feel are original.  Cars in this class are not eligible
for NAMGAR class awards, Premier or Premier Emeritus; it is not a
voted class."  I guess I don't really see the point of this.  I don't
show up at these events for trophies, but if there are no awards and
it's not a voted class, I'd rather show my car with you guys in the
Magnette section!

-Steve T.