[Zmagnette] leak at fuel line float bowl connection

Steven Trovato strovato at optonline.net
Mon Mar 3 15:38:40 MST 2014

My Magnette recently decided to spit fuel out of the overflow on the
rear carb.  The floats were fine, but I took the opportunity to
replace both floats with the new nitrophyl type.  I also replaced the
needles/seats with new spring loaded viton tip kind.  I used new
gaskets and washers from a rebuild kit.  When I got everything back
together I had a leak between the float bowl lid and the fuel line
banjo fitting.  I took it apart again and carefully rubbed the mating
surfaces using emery cloth on a piece of glass.  With this treatment
and tightening the bolt with a lot of force, I finally get it all
back together with no leak.  Before anyone asks, yes, the banjo
fitting is the right way around, with the recessed side facing the
bolt head.  The washers provided in the kit are not very thick and
they are pretty hard.  Is this what everyone uses here?  It seems
like there should be something a little thicker and more flexible.

-Steve T.