[Zmagnette] leak at fuel line float bowl connection

Fletcher Millmore gofanu at cust.usachoice.net
Mon Mar 3 16:42:15 MST 2014

Steve-
Assuming the washers are something akin to the OE red fibre, soak them
in warm oil for a few hours. That softens them a bit and lubricates the
bolt thrust surface, a source of significant friction. Check that the
bolt in fact screws in freely to well beyond the required depth - it is
common to have corrosion deposits in the lid threads, which stops the
bolt, especially if the washers are too thin. The corrosion is hard as
concrete! Use Lubriplate on the bolt threads, to reduce torque and
prevent corrosion  in the threads for next time. There is a surprising
amount of drag in the threads and under bolt head if these parts are not
lubed. All this will make it less frightening to tighten the requisite
amount - I've seen guys break the bowl, but it is rare.

"More flexible" would result in leaks as the washers compress under
vibration, heat, and time.

FRM