[Zmagnette] Road-Wandering Magnette

David F. Darby ddarby at centurytel.net
Sun May 11 22:55:16 MDT 2014

Hello Allen,

I'm running 28psi in the front. I rebuilt my rack last year.

You might check first that the four rack mounting bolts are tight or that
the bushes (if present) haven't failed. If those are tight check for play in
the steering wheel before the road wheels move. There shouldn't be too much.
You can jack up the wheels and see if there is play in the track rods. Mine
were really sloppy and it wouldn't pass a safety inspection. You should
check the steering coupler as they do get tired. It consists of a rubber dog
mounted in the coupling body on the steering column. You might remember me
whining publicly because I couldn't get mine apart. Some Da$%#&% DPO had
squirted it full of silicone as a "fix."

Rebuilding the rack requires a purpose-built spanner and special tool to
disassemble the inner tie rods. I made up the tools with plate steel,
hardened roll pins, and some pipe. New inner tie rod ball ends are not
available, but they're usually not too bad. Mine were just a wee bit worn,
so I used some valve-grinding paste and a drill motor to lap them in to the
sockets. Then it was just a matter of REMOVING shims to tighten them up.
John Twist has an MGB YouTube video which shows the kind of fit you want to
end up with. The FWSM describes the protocol. Steve Hanegan and FRM had
helpful tips. It was FRM that helped me determine that I had an old
non-bushed rack, yes there are two varieties.

In the end, it turned out that I had fleas and lice both, that is, worn
inner tie rods AND the bad steering coupler. Luckily, my only expenses were
for a new steering coupler and a fresh pair of gaiters. The steering is very
quick and precise now. Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

David