[Zmagnette] Carpet adhesive & maybe a trick?

Steve skirby210 at cox.net
Fri May 16 23:28:12 MDT 2014

David--

At the rather realistic risk of once again putting my foot right into it,
let me proffer this.  However, no doubt you and the entire rest of the
esteemed group already knew this, starting back in 1937.

Oh well, here goes:  It might be that your problem isn't the adhesive, but
"shaping" the carpet around and into corners, curves, convex and concave
areas, and other tricky spots?  Probably lays down fine in the flat?  What
someone told me, and I've used it ever since, with good success, is to find
an old steam iron that still makes steam.  Heat 'er up.  Now, get a nice
ol', clean towel, and fold it maybe in half (or more, if it’s a crappy
towel!)  Try this a couple of times on a practice piece of cut-off carpet
before you go launching into the most visible part of your job.  So, with
the ol' towel on top of area needing "coercion" , hit the area with some
steam.  Depending on how good of an old iron you have, how hot you have it
set, blah, blah, blah, you'll see pretty quickly that the carpet becomes
like a big ol' piece of lasagna, and you can bend it, curve it, etc.  Just
play around with the settings, how close you hold it, how long, etc.  Do
NOT, I repeat do NOT, put the iron directly onto the carpet.  Ask me how I
know.  Fortunately, an ash try covers that spot.  A future owner may
consider it some sort of trademark or copyright!  This does not hurt the
carpet.  Cruise by about any upholstery shop, and you'll see them doing the
same thing, but with something fancier than an ol' steam iron.

Some of my more sophisticated friends have suggested a wallpaper "removing"
steam tool, but I'm too cheap.

Good Luck, and may the Steam be with you.

#2SteveK