[Zmagnette] [Thelist] Front disc brakes

Kelvin Dodd doddk at mossmotors.com
Mon Jul 27 12:31:32 MDT 2015

Hi Mike.

I was waiting to see if anyone had the standard adapter brackets, but the conversation went off into newly designed kits that are not ready yet.

The standard way of doing the conversion is to source a pair of used MGA MkII disc brake, disc wheel front hubs.  These slide straight on to the Magnette spindle and allow you to bolt on a pair of new MGA brake rotors.

To fit a pair of calipers, an adapter bracket is needed which is unique to the Magnette and is available from time to time. Nowadays, this allows you to bolt the MGB brake calipers on. Re-use, or buy new Magnette brake hoses and you are done.

The difficulty with this conversion is finding a pair of good MGA used disc brake hubs and finding someone who can supply the caliper adapter bracket which is a custom made piece.

Evidently there are at least two people working on alternative disc brake conversion kits, but nothing immediately available.

There is another school of thought which mounts the entire MGB vertical link directly onto the Magnette, but this requires modifying the A arms. I’ve not seen a solid write up on this procedure, but I’m all ears as I have a project that could use this exact conversion right now.

Hope this helps

Kelvin.