Re: Tiger Vs. Alpine Steering

From: Gary Winblad (winbladg(at)apps5.credence.com)
Date: Thu Feb 23 1995 - 11:57:38 CST

>Just for giggles, methinks next time I make a C.A.T. board meeting,
>I'll query them about their willingness to fund such a venture. It
>would be a big project, but it's just the sort of thing that the
>C.A.T. parts operation is supposed to be all about, at least to

YES... DO IT! As a CAT member, I would certainly vote for such a project.

>Hmmm. . . Wonder what Lou Anderson is up to nowadays; he hasn't run the

Yeah, where is he? He had a workable solution years ago, I still have a
picture of it. I think his may be the only workable solution to a front
steer rack

>What if you used a late model 5.0 split sump oil pan/pickup combo?

Thought about that.. won't work. It would mean a rear steer rack, but it
would be mounted too far forward.. would cause the exact same toe-in on
turns problem.

>This might not be as bad as you think. Assuming that you are going to make a
>total departure from the Tiger front cross member, there are several kits
>available for independent front suspension (IFS). The custom car and hot rod
>crowd use these all the time and much engineering development has gone into
>them. Some include billet aluminum machined arms and tie rods, etc. They
>would look cool.

Yeah, those kits got me thinking about the project. Unfortunately, they all
use a straight across box section that would go right through the engine!
It needs to loop around the front like the stock crossmember.

>What I would do is make a box section, buy a mustang II IFS kit with Pinto
>Rack and pinion,

I have a Pinto rack in my Alpine conversion... it is too slow.. maybe the
power rack is faster.

I figured out the geometry and wrote a little pascal program to simulate
different rack placements and the resulting ackerman angles vs. ideal if
anyone is interested.

Of course, even if someone came up with the ultimate solution, you couldn't
race it (except against Barry and Tom Patton)...

>Hmm, I was looking for a project for next summer?
This is a good one!

Gary