Re: Tiger Vs. Alpine Steering

From: Kempinski, Robert M. (RKEMPINS(at)ssf4.jsc.nasa.gov)
Date: Thu Feb 23 1995 - 10:15:00 CST

Ramon,

>| A custom crossmember might fix it, but would be an extensive project.

>Just for giggles, methinks next time I make a C.A.T. board meeting,
>I'll query them about their willingness to fund such a venture. It
>would be a big project, but it's just the sort of thing that the
>C.A.T. parts operation is supposed to be all about, at least to
>my way of thinking--develop and produce those goodies that are
>beyond the capabilities of profit-seeking operations.

>I bet if C.A.T. were willing to provide the $$$, somebody, somewhere,
>somehow, MIGHT be willing to provide the time and engineering expertise.

This might not be as bad as you think. Assuming that you are going to make a
total departure from the Tiger front cross member, there are several kits
available for independent front suspension (IFS). The custom car and hot rod
crowd use these all the time and much engineering development has gone into
them. Some include billet aluminum machined arms and tie rods, etc. They
would look cool.

What I would do is make a box section, buy a mustang II IFS kit with Pinto
Rack and pinion, weld the kit's shock towers in place on the box section
and use the A arms, spindles etc. from the kits. You'd have to work up a
small extension from the steering universals to fit the rack and pinion.
Some experimentation would be necessary to figure out the best angles. The
prototype shock towers could be adjustable. One problem would be clearance
between the radiator and the rack and pinion. The whole unit could be a bolt
on item for handling performance. Originality fans could always keep the
original front end for car shows and the like.

Hmm, I was looking for a project for next summer?

Rob