Re: (fwd) FS: '60 Sunbeam Alpine Project car-- needs work

From: Ramon Spontelli (rs11(at)elsegundoca.attgis.com)
Date: Tue Oct 10 1995 - 09:04:41 CDT

From several weeks ago:

> '60 Sunbeam Alpine with a B18B Volvo engine, Triumph carbs, Triumph
> rear wheels. Was in center of rear-end accident 17 years ago, and
> haven't gotten around to fixing it. Was running when I put it in the
> garage. On jack stands in So. CA just south of LAX. Make me an offer,
> I really just want to get it out of the garage. I have all the parts,
> including soft top hardware...

> Make an offer or arrange to come see it by Email... Address below.

> Dana

> --

   .oOO ______ _______ _____________________
  ][---ri--nn---+====/[__]| : /-----------. | Dana Zimmerli |
 O|_________--__!___/ [__]| | / PIRR | |zimmerli(at)ix.netcom.com|
 _T---------UU------|__ __|_|____/_____________| |______________________|
/--O=(*)-(*)-(*)-(*) ===O ~ o=o=o o=o=o ~ o^o o^o ~
----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+---
      Pipestone, Interlaken and Rum River -- The Great Circle Route

I went and looked at this car after work yesterday, and though I was tempted,
I decided to pass on the opportunity. This little warrior has seen a LOT of
battles. In addition to the substantial hit to the rear, the front and both
sides have been significantly rearranged "by crunch." I'd call it a parts car.
There's just too much sheet metal damage to contend with.

On the plus side:

  o Good windshield and door glass with functional
     crank mechanisms. If I had needed a windshield, or even
     one piece of glass, I would have made an offer on the car.

  o Correct seats. (This is a Series I.) Someone asked
     me in the last year or so if I had an extra set of early
     seats. If I could have remembered who it was, I would have
     made an offer on the car.

  o Complete soft-top hardware, and the three-piece surround
     appeared undamaged. Here's about the only piece on the car
     that I could have used--one of the little chrome pieces that
     goes on the side-flap of our Series II is banged up badly,
     and has a broken prong.

  o Wire wheels. Thirteen-inchers on the front/fifteens on the back.
     (I didn't ask about the spare, and it wasn't handy to get at the
     trunk for a look-see.)

  o Locking-type gas cap! (I can't get mine to stay on the
     car even when it's parked!)

  o Original Rootes Group shop manual for the Alpine, and an
     aftermarket book on the Volvo.

Since I wasn't interested in the Volvo powerplant, I didn't ask to look
under the hood, which has a Triumph-style bubble on the passenger side.
Clearance for the carburetion I suppose.

The car has a home-made wood dash, with a door on the cubby box.
Instrumentation is original, except for the tach, which may be a
Volvo piece, and it's all weathered quite a bit.

I shure do hope someone can justify this opportunity. It's sad
to see a little car so spent, and it's been garaged all this time.

Ramon