Re: Stuck engine

From: U. Goettsch (ulix(at)u.washington.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 27 1995 - 12:26:00 CDT

On Fri, 27 Oct 1995, W. Ray Gibbons wrote:

> 1) It seems sensible to put some sort of soaking oil in the cylinders to
> help free the pistons. Any suggestions as to what? I have heard diesel
> fuel. What is the wisdom on this--I would like to let it soak for a few
> months as long as it is just sitting there.

Boy are you going to get a lot of different responses to this one !!
Coca-Cola
WD-40
Marvel Mystery Oil
etc. etc.

They probably all work, even though, since you'll just let it sit there,
you probably want to use something that protects it too, after it loosens
it up. Coke probably not a good idea... (if it was a Bugeye, I'd use
Sprite :) :) )

> 2) Is there anything else people would recommend doing? I sort of figure
> after 16 yrs the damage is mostly done, but I'd be willing to try stuff.
> Drain the gas tanks? Put some lacquer thinner in them? Oil anywhere?
> Buy a gal. of Kroil and squirt it around with abandon? Or just forget it
> until spring. What do you think?

There probably is some water at the bottom of the tank (under the old
gas), so draining would be good. Fresh gas would be good protection but
then you have to dispose of it somehow...
I have noticed that if you spray something with penetrating oil (some at
least) and let it sit for a long time that it seems to rust faster than
if you had left it alone. Anybody else had that experience?

                      sprite caddy